Sunday

If One Falls - Part II

A Civil War Tale
by John Jenkins and Mark Weaver

Waking suddenly from a dream, I tried to bolt upright, but firm hands held me down on a narrow cot. I reached for my leg, but again, a firm hand seized my wrist.

Golden light blinded my eyes. Blinking repeatedly, I fought to focus the blurry image above me.

Then everything came back-where I was and why. I hadn't been dreaming. Wild-eyed Rebels had broken through the trees, bayonets flashing. Their blood-curdling cries had filled the air. A fellow Union soldier's rifle discharged and a bullet passed through my leg below the knee. Captured. A wagon ride with an angry, wounded Reb. Sam, the Southern reporter who sounded like a preacher. A small white church used as a field hospital. Doctors using the communion table to perform surgeries. Surgery where I had lost...

I rubbed my eyes.

Sam's sandy hair and moustache came into focus, then his clear blue eyes. He released my wrist and sat down on a stool between my cot and one to my right. He folded his arms over a clean white shirt and brown paisley vest.

Behind him stood a small table with a water bucket, a tin cup, and pieces of folded cloth. White canvas walls rippled as a breeze swept over the tent. The tent flap was open and sunlight angled across my cot. Sam nodded slowly. "They took your leg below the knee-couldn't risk gangrene. Good, clean work. No complications."

I forced myself to look down.

How strange! No pain, only itching and the feeling of nonexistent toes stretching and moving! But my eyes saw the truth beneath the sheet covering my leg. No shin. No foot. Only a stump.

My heart sank as I considered my fate as an amputee and prisoner of war. The vision of a cold, stone prison cell flashed before my eyes.

Then someone groaned in the cot next to me.

Surprisingly, I saw the young Reb who had shared the wagon with me. His hands covered his eyes above tear-streaked cheeks.

"Lost his left leg at the hip," Sam explained. "Nasty wound. Recovery will be painful. The Almighty was gracious-not many survive.

"That's not all Jeremiah's facing," Sam said softly. "Just a while ago he learned his older brother had been accidentally killed during maneuvers in Richmond."

Sam's gaze bore down on me. "Jeremiah's your age. His parents forbade him to leave. But, just like you, he couldn't stay behind, not with his brother off to war. Now Jeremiah can't forgive himself for losing his leg. His family depended on him and his brother to keep the farm profitable."

I glanced at Jeremiah. The Reb still covered his eyes. His shoulders, arms and remaining leg trembled.

A Confederate in a clean gray uniform entered the tent. His eyes avoided me as he handed Sam a note.

Sam dismissed him with thanks, then took a deep breath. He unfolded the note and began to read, his eyebrows rising sharply. He stood. He seemed to force a smile.

"I'll be back later this afternoon." Sam said as he swept the tent flap aside and left.

For over an hour, I rested and listened to the busy sounds of the camp. The snorts of horses and the rumble of wooden wheels. The thuds of crates thrown into wagon beds. The laughs and the happy exchanges of soldiers filing by. The clang of pots, the jingle of medical instruments, the swish of water, and the low, serious voices of doctors and orderlies discussing their morning's work.

"Water," a soft voice requested, not from outside the tent, but beside me. "Water..."

I propped up on an arm. Jeremiah's head lolled from side to side, his cheeks bright pink from fever.

I called out for help three times, but no one came.

Then I noticed that on the floor beside each of our cots, lay a wooden crutch.

Again, Jeremiah cried faintly for water.

Clenching my teeth, I grabbed the sides of the cot and sat upright. I pulled my stump over the edge of the cot, then swung my other leg around. Using the crutch, I pushed myself to my feet. White sparks danced in front of my eyes and for a second I thought I might topple, but I fought and kept my balance. I hobbled to the table.

I took several strips of cloth and dipped them into the water bucket, then worked my way to Jeremiah. Leaning heavily on the crutch, I spread the wet strips across his forehead.

Though my stump throbbed, I returned to the bucket and filled the tin cup. I reached Jeremiah with the cup still half full. Enjoying my small victory, I brought the cup to his lips.

"Open your mouth, just a little. Here's water."

Jeremiah's eyes fluttered open. For a moment he appeared confused, then his eyes widened.

"Yankee?" he asked, his voice a whisper. His mouth started to move but I interrupted.

"Don't waste your strength. Here, just drink."

In several small gulps he drained the cup. His eyes pleaded for more and I could not deny him.

The throbbing in my stump became a pounding as I struggled yet a third time to the water bucket. Though I teetered twice, jamming my crutch into my armpit, I refused to let Jeremiah see my discomfort. I forced a smile as he quickly downed the cup.

Then he closed his eyes and let his head drop back onto the cot. Exhausted, I slept until sometime around noon, when the orderlies came to change our bandages. Sun filtered brightly into the tent.

Afterward, when we were alone again, I noticed that the stool had been pushed up near the head of my cot. On the stool lay a tattered Bible with a slip of paper stuck out between its pages.

I glanced at Jeremiah. He slept peacefully; all of the feverish color had left his cheeks.

I turned and grabbed the Bible, opening it to the slip of paper.

A handwritten note! Who had written it? Sam?

"A house divided against itself cannot stand." Abraham Lincoln, Republican State Convention Speech, Springfield, Il. June 16, 1858.

Then I noticed a verse underlined in ink: Matthew 12:25. So-Lincoln had quoted the Scriptures! And in the margin by the underlined verse was a penciled Bible reference: Eccl. 4:9-10.

I flipped to Ecclesiastes. "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"

After several minutes, I returned the Bible to the stool. For a time, I just followed the play of wind on the canvas tent, thinking about Lincoln's quote and the verses I had just read. About our nation. About me and Jeremiah. How similar our predicaments, how uncertain our futures!

Then, I must have dozed.

I opened my eyes. Sam gently shook my shoulder. He picked up the Bible and sat on the stool, then held forth a letter written on military letterhead.

"You are no longer a prisoner of war," he said with a wide grin. "General Beauregard has honored my request to let you leave with the Union surgeons tomorrow. My first request failed, but after speaking with him, he relented. You were asleep when I came by to tell you. While waiting, I was called away, until now."

I was free! I smiled broadly as the dread of imprisonment that clouded my thoughts lifted away like smoke from a cannon in a breeze. I reached and shook Sam's hand. "How can I thank you?"

Sam glanced at the slip of paper that I had moved from Matthew to Ecclesiastes.

"Put your trust in this," he said, handing me the Bible. "Though the cover's frayed and the binding's a little loose, God's Word is always reliable."

Whether the result of Sam's words or the verses I'd just read, I don't know, but a conviction, a certainty, formed inside me that I could not turn away, no matter what the dangers involved.

I propped myself up on one arm and leaned forward. "Sam, have a brother who lives in Gettysburg, right?"

Without waiting for his reply, I whispered my request in his ear. Morning came with a flurry of activity. The Union doctors cleaned their equipment and packed their various surgical kits and supplies. At Sam's suggestion, I donned the civilian clothing he provided.

Two wagons were now being loaded where our tent had once stood. One wagon for the Union doctors, one for Confederate supplies headed for the not-too-distant railroad station at Manassas Junction.

Jeremiah sat motionless in the back of the supply wagon. As Sam and I had discussed earlier, Jeremiah was being sent home to Charlottesville, Virginia. His pale, forlorn face revealed the same dread and guilt that had once clouded my own heart.

The Union doctors and orderlies climbed one by one into the wagon. I stuffed my tote under one arm, gripped my crutch, and started toward the wagon.

I looked back at Sam. He nodded his approval of my decision.

I took a deep breath and continued, not toward the wagon carrying the Union doctors back to Washington, D.C., but toward the Confederate supply wagon and Jeremiah.

I tossed my bag into the back and hitched myself up. I carefully swung my sore leg in, then sat with my back against the sideboard facing Jeremiah. The wagoner clicked his tongue and gently snapped the reins. The wagon lurched forward.

Jeremiah's eyes opened wide, glancing first at the wagoner, then back at Sam before returning to settle on me.

"I'm going with you to Charlottesville," I said firmly. "And if you and your family accept my help, I'll stay for a while. Sam's brother John lives in Gettysburg not far from my aunt and uncle. John's going tell them what I've decided to do. He'll also make sure they get all the help they need until I return."

Jeremiah started to speak, but I confronted his objection before he could raise it.

"Sam gave me a letter of authorization. While in Charlottesville, I'll be his assistant on assignment for the Charleston Observer. No one will know different unless we tell them. Besides, with only a stump for a leg, I'm no threat to anyone, anyhow.

"Maybe," I said, reaching down and patting my stump, "with God's grace and two working legs between us, we can do each other good. Encourage each other, push each back to full strength. Maybe even figure out how to be useful again, in different ways."

Jeremiah scrunched his lips. Was it hope flickering in his eyes, or was it just the glint of morning light filtering through the trees? Or would he refuse my offer and my chance to obey God? Had I fooled myself that we could make amends? But I learned the answer before I knew the truth.

"Yankee. . ." Jeremiah said softly with a slow, deliberate drawl and a grin.

We shook hands. As our eyes met, I wondered once again about the future, about what difficulties lay ahead for me, for Jeremiah, and for our nation. Could Jeremiah and I overcome our differences and work together? Could our nation, North and South, stand again as one?

I glanced back in time to see Sam waving at the top of the hill.

Both Jeremiah and I returned the wave as Sam, and the small white church at Sudley Springs, disappeared from view.

THE END

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home